Monday, October 17, 2011

Response to Riech, DJ Spooky, and Trecarten

I like how both Riech and DJ Spooky's articles were suggesting and acknowledging the importance of everyday sounds, to the point that it is, in itself, music. You can talk to a person and have a certain phrase or word stick out to you, and it plays over and over in your head, which is where Riech comes in. I notice my surroundings and little sounds, but I don't think I ever thought of them as music. But to take these remembered words and loop them creates a flow, a rhythm, and therefore...music. DJ Spooky takes this concept further by using more than just words, but every single sound you hear. I thought it was interesting when he was talking about finding a "Blankness in flow," and how we will naturally put that blankness into context, despite its emptiness. I think its like the audible version of drawing a circle, but not all the way; your mind will connect the rest.

As for Ryan Trecarten...I just saw the picture when I opened it was instantly turned off. I cannot begin to explain how uncomfortable that video made me. However I see how this is still relevant to the other articles, in the sense that Trecarten has taken certain phrases and sounds, and then emphasized them. Also, this whole topic of audio/sound/music reminds me of the beginning of the song "counting bodies like sheep" by A Perfect Circle.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g9AxVoG04ng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No comments:

Post a Comment