Monday, November 7, 2011

Toward Project 3...

Hi everyone,

While I'm sorry that the critiques for Project 2 have been going long, I'm so pleased with the work you guys are producing. I hope you've all documented your pieces for the portfolio review. If not, I recommend re-staging them outside of class time if you need photos or videos. If you don't have a decent still camera, we do have some Nikons in the cage...

Here is the working description I've been using for project 3:

Project 3 – Web/Imaging
You will build a webpage that can serve as the basis for a critical art project. This can take the form of a public performance (considering virtual space as a kind of public space), an interactive project inviting participants, an image based narrative, or some other imaginative re-contextualization of the “home page” you propose.

Within this description, you can build your own webpage using dreamweaver, or use some online wiziwig (a template kind of like wordpress, blogger, myspace, etc...). Furthermore, I'm willing to expand the parameters from building your own webpage to staging some kind of performance or intervention within an existing web framework such as ebay, facebook, amazon, etc. Below are some examples of work that might fit these parameters:

I Sorry I Havn’t Posted – by Cory Arcangel
"A new reblog I started which re-posts posts of people apologizing for not posting. Tag line: “Inspiring Apologies From Today’s World Wide Web”. Sounds kinda dumb, but I sift through about 50 of these posts a day, … there are some really touching ones out there. Enjoy!"

Working At Youtube by Cory Arcangel

Punk Rock 101 by Cory Arcangel

Wikipedia Art by Nathaniel Stern

http://wwwwwwwww.jodi.org/

Animated GIFs by Jon Cates

Time As Money by Shane Mecklenburger

You're Not My Father by Paul Slocum

I can think of a few more, but we'll start with these. If some of you have some you would like to take a look at in class, or that you would like to post for others to see here, please do so.

As far as demos toward this project, we will do a quick overview of HTML and dreamweaver, and a basic intro/refresher to photoshop for various applications. If there are other things you would like to cover, please bring this up in class as well and feel free to post here with any questions.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment